Saturday, May 8, 2010

Apple Streusel Bars

What a wonderful weekend I have had! One of my really good friends from High School came to visit. We did so much and just had so much fun talking, singing, baking, going out to eat, and so much more! I am so thankful for good friends and think that I have some of the best! I also realized that I don't have to go to class or anywhere on Monday, how exciting! 


I just wanted to post the dessert that I made for our bible study party because I have gotten a ton of compliments on it and agree that it was delicious! I got it from Lovin' From the Oven who I absolutely love:)


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup real butter, softened
  • 1 egg
Apple Filling:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 medium apples
Glaze:
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 3 tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.

Spray a 9x13  or 9x9 baking dish
 with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside.
To prepare apple filling, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Toss with apples and spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes. When finished, allow to cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Place glaze in a Ziploc bag and cut off a very small portion of one of the corners. Drizzle glaze over cooled pastry and allow to harden. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been thinking a lot about how much Jesus cares for each and every one of us. The fact that he pays so much attention to us and is always there no matter what. This just really made me question how much I care about other people and how much attention I pay to my friends and even people I don't really know. If the Lord is so good to me shouldn't I share that with others? How can I accept the love and care He has for me and not return the favor to Him and others on earth. I really should think about other people's feelings more and what I can do for them in any situation. It's not all about me no matter how much I think that sometimes. I need to constantly be reminding myself who I am living for and what that looks like. How can I represent Jesus better and show His love to those around me?

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful mom's I know! Especially mine, she is such a wonderful mom and friend and I am so thankful for her and all she does for my family and I! I also have some pretty amazing grandma's and I wish that I could spend more time with them. I love you all and hope you have a fabulous day and are treated wonderfully because you really deserve it. I am sorry I cannot be with you but I am thinking about you and will see you soon!

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." 2 Corinthians 13:14

No comments:

Post a Comment